9 Inspiring Quotes From Great Mentors
Throughout the mentorship experience, both student and mentor will occasionally encounter friction which strains trust, crushing personalities against each other to form rocky barriers, some of which seem impossible to surmount. Challenging times like these will strain our bonds and test our faith in the mentorship process like never before. In the thick of this stress, it can be hard to remember that we’re not the only ones who’ve undertaken the mutual transformation that is mentorship.
The truth is that no matter what successes or struggles we encounter as students and mentors, we are far from alone in facing them. In fact, some of the world’s greatest leaders, visionaries and geniuses experienced the thrills and pitfalls of mentorship, and recorded for everyone their most notable thoughts on the process. Below are 10 fantastic quotes to inspire us all to remember why we put our faith in the bond between mentor and mentee.
1.“A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you.” — Bob Proctor
2. “A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.” — Oprah Winfrey
3. “The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves.” — Steven Spielberg
4. “We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill
5. “One of the greatest values of mentors is the ability to see ahead what others cannot see and to help them navigate a course to their destination.” — John C. Maxwell
6. “In order to be a mentor, and an effective one, one must care. You must care. You don’t have to know how many square miles are in Idaho, you don’t need to know what is the chemical makeup of chemistry, or of blood or water. Know what you know and care about the person, care about what you know and care about the person you’re sharing with.” — Maya Angelou
7. “The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.” — Benjamin Disraeli
8. “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” — Isaac Newton
9. “We’re here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.” — Whoopi Goldberg